9 February 2013

Stash Busting: Rib knit jumper

Normally when I make something new for myself I can't wait to wear it as soon as possible.


Not this time. It's still the middle of summer, and here I am making (of all things) a jumper! Why, you might ask, am I making a jumper? Well, I'm off on a family holiday soon, and it's going to be cold. I have a shortage of decent jumpers, and, well, I happened to have this piece of fabric hanging around in my stash. I bought 2 metres of this knit fabric (not sure what the composition is, I think it's some kind of acrylic), at the Fabric Store last year (or was it the year before?) Up until a week or so ago, I had been thinking of making some kind of cardigan with a drapy front with it.

The Fabric
I have been making a few things with knits recently, but I generally only sew with stretch fabric for myself and my family. If something doesn't turn out because the fabric had more (or less) stretch in it than what I was counting on, it doesn't matter. I can call the first garment a trial, make some adjustments and do another one! I have been known to turn away potential clients when they are requesting something made from stretch fabrics. I have never really had the desire to learn how to perfect stretch sewing, especially when there are so many other things I would prefer to be sewing.

The Inspiration
Back to my jumper though. I came across this picture on pinterest a few weeks ago. It's from Backcountry.com, the EMU Yambulla Pullover Sweater. I had seen a similar neck on a shirt recently and thought that I might try something like it one day. Well, why not today? I've just finished my version (literally, I sewed the last button on an hour ago), and now it's all ready to pack up and go on holidays with me. The fabric is pulling down at the sides a little due to the weight of the fabric, but let's just call it a slouch jumper, shall we? I was tempted to leave the ends of the neck hanging down at the centre so I had a scarf around my neck, but I thought they might get in the way. I can still pull the collar up around my neck if it's getting cold.




My version
Back
Front
Maybe I'll even remember to take some photos when I have a chance to wear it, and post them here.


No comments:

Post a Comment